Hello, data friends! Today we’re going to learn how to cross out text in Excel. The first part of the tutorial is a how-to on the text strikethrough function in Excel using the Format Cells menu. The second part of this post will provide you with the shortcut keys to both the strikethrough function and the Format Cells menu.
Let’s get started! Our goal will be to cross out the text pictured here:
Crossing out text in Excel is relatively easy, just follow the steps below.
1. Make sure you’re on the Home tab of the Excel Ribbon, as pictured below. Also, make sure you have selected the cell that you want to cross out text from
2. Once on the Home tab, look to the far right of the ribbon. Look for the “Format” option (located in the Cells section) and click on that option, as pictured below
3. The Format drop-down menu should pop. That menu looks like the screenshot below. Click on the “Format Cells” option that is at the very bottom of the menu.
4. Excel’s Format Cells menu should pop up, as pictured below. Select the Font tab that is pictured in the red box below.
5. Now that you’re on the Font tab, look for the option that says “Strikethrough” and click on it so that the option box next to it has a check.
6. Now that the Strikethrough option is checked, your text will be crossed out. You’ll see an example of the strikethrough/cross out of the text in the preview window that’s in the bottom right-hand side of the menu, as pictured below!
Our original cell now looks like so:
That’s how easy it is to cross out text in Microsoft Excel!
If you’re a fan of short-cut keys, then use this shortcut key to cross out text:
Using the CTRL + 5 shortcut key is a faster way to cross out text in Excel. You can toggle CTRL + 5 back and forth to cross out and un-cross out text.
If you found the Format Cells menu useful, then you can use the below shortcut keys to access the menu with just the click of a few buttons.
That’s all there is to it! If you have any further questions or need anything clarified, do not hesitate to reach out to me through Twitter DMs @Cest_Nick. Otherwise, I’ll catch you on the next one!